As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This easy spaghetti sauce from scratch is so rich, full of flavor, and delicious. It is made from scratch with homemade sauce. Enjoy it with spaghetti or any pasta of your choice.
This easy spaghetti sauce from scratch recipe is a family favorite. I started making this recipe when my first daughter was 2 years old, 13 years after, I have taught her this recipe and we still love it and she is able to whip it up without my help.
This recipe is foolproof, it is full of flavors, and ideal for family weekday or weeknights lunch or dinner. All you have to do is follow the steps and this spaghetti sauce will become you and your family’s favorite as well.
Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
The key ingredient in this sauce from scratch is the sauce. My easy spaghetti sauce adds flavor to this dish and makes all the ingredients come together for a truly delicious experience.
I like to know what goes into my meal and rarely use store-bought spaghetti sauce. Although this easy spaghetti sauce may be substituted for store-bought sauce, I highly encourage you to make this quick sauce. This sauce is balanced and does not have the sweetness of tomatoes. I always make the extra because it can be used for other pasta dishes.
When making this easy spaghetti sauce from scratch, I advise you to make an extra batch. This sauce keeps very well in the freezer and for the days and nights, you need a quick meal. You can thaw and enjoy the delicious, flavorful sauce with your pasta.
Check the printable recipe card at the bottom for a detailed list and measurements.
Homemade spaghetti sauce: To make the sauce, you need to blend 1 Hunt’s 15oz tomato sauce, 5 tomatoes, 1 medium onion, 1 Red bell pepper, 2 Garlic cloves, 1 habanero pepper (optional). This will yield 5 cups of sauce. We need 2 cups for this recipe.
Minced meat: You can substitute for minced turkey or combine half of the minced meat and half minced turkey or pork.
Onions: Onions minced
Garlic: minced garlic
Tomato Paste: This helps thicken the sauce and also adds flavor to the dish.
Beef Flavor Bouillon
Mixed Bell Peppers: Mixed peppers add flavors and colors to the dish. I use a mix of minced yellow, orange, green and red peppers.
Parmesan Cheese( optional).
How to Make Spaghetti Sauce
- Put a skillet on medium heat, add olive oil, garlic, and minced beef. Brown the beef until all pink disappears and drain.
- In another skillet, add the remaining olive oil, garlic, and onions. Sautee for a few minutes.
- Add the browned minced beef to the skillet, add the spaghetti sauce, tomato paste, bouillon powder, thyme. Let it simmer with low to medium heat.
- Add the mixed peppers and let it simmer.
- Add chopped parsley and basil and add the grated parmesan cheese( optional).
- Serve over cooked Spaghetti or pasta of choice.
- To make the Spaghetti, bring water to boil in a pot and season with salt.
- Add the spaghetti to the water and stir to avoid it sticking together.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until al dente. ( I like to boil my spaghetti with carrots & runner beans).
- Drain the water from the spaghetti.
- Add a dash of oregano and drizzle spaghetti with olive oil.
How to Store & Reheat Spaghetti sauce
This spaghetti sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. To store for a longer time, store in a freezer for up to four months. Allow sauce to cool, put in an airtight container or airtight bag to store in the refrigerator or freezer. It can be reheated in the saucepan or microwave.
Saucepan: To reheat the frozen sauce, bring it out of the freezer to thaw, place in a saucepan, reheat on the low to medium heat until warm. Serve over spaghetti or pasta of choice.
Microwave: Place sauce in a microwave-safe container, microwave with the lid on until warm. Remove the lid, stir, and enjoy with pasta of your choice.
The good thing about this recipe is, you can build on it to create variations to the sauce. You can create variations to this dish by substituting the meat product.
Turkey or Pork: Substitute the minced beef for minced turkey or pork. You can mix half and half of the minced beef, turkey, and pork for a unique flavor.
For meatless spaghetti sauce: skip the minced meat product, or substitute with chopped mushrooms or acceptable alternatives and follow other instructions.
Tips & Frequently Asked Questions
- Should I put brown sugar in spaghetti sauce?
This recipe does not use sugar, the sugar is to reduce the acidity of the tomatoes, all the ingredients in this spaghetti sauce balance the taste and no sugar is needed to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
- How can I make my spaghetti sauce more flavorful?
By using the easy spaghetti sauce in this recipe, it adds flavor that is not in the pre-made storebought sauce. If using storebought sauce, add thyme, oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic to balance the taste and make it more flavorful.
- Do I need to remove the skin of the tomatoes when making the spaghetti sauce?
No, you do not need to remove the skin of the tomatoes, the skin will add texture to the spaghetti sauce and make it delicious and flavorful.
- What type of tomatoes should I use for the spaghetti sauce?
You can use San Marzano plum tomatoes is available. I use Roma tomatoes in this recipe.
- How do I boil my spaghetti or pasta al dente?
Al dente means your pasta is cooked but not too soft. Your pasta should still have a firm texture and a bite to it.
Other Simple Recipes to Try
If you find this post helpful, rate it, and leave a comment below. I love reading from you.
Subscribe to my newsletter to receive alerts of new posts in your email. Follow me on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates.
Easy Spaghetti sauce from scratch
- 2 cups Homemade spaghetti sauce To make the sauce, you need to blend 1 Hunt's 15oz tomato sauce, 5 tomatoes, 1 medium onion, 1 Red bell pepper, 2 Garlic cloves, 1 habanero pepper (optional). This will yield 5 cups of sauce. We need 2 cups for this recipe.
- 3 pounds minced meat
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon Beef Bouillon powder
- ½ teaspoon Thyme
- 1 cup mixed bell peppers red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers
- chopped parsley/basil
- Dried oregano
- Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- Put a skillet on medium heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil, garlic and minced beef. Brown the beef until all pink disappears and drain.
- In another skillet, add the remaining olive oil , garlic, onions. sautee for a few minutes, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the browned minced beef to the skillet, add the spaghetti sauce, tomato paste, bouillon powder, thyme. Let it simmer with low to medium heat for 8-10minutes.
- Add the mixed peppers and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add chopped parsley/basil and Parmesan cheese(optional)
- Serve over cooked spaghetti or pasta of choice.
- To make spaghetti, bring water to boil in a pot and season with salt.
- Add the spaghetti to the water and stir to avoid sticking together.
- Cook for 10-12minutes or until al dente( boil with cut carrots and runner beans optional)
- Drain the water from the spaghett and serve.
Leave a Reply